How to make Puto Pao
Puto is one of the favorite native delicacy of many Filipinos. It has many variations, sizes, colors, flavors and toppings. One of the newest variation of Puto which is popular nowadays is the Puto Pao.
Puto pao is a hybrid of the Chinese steamed bun called siopao and puto. It uses the traditional puto recipe but incorporates a sweetmeat filling which are great for snacks. It is also a good business to start which only require minimal capital and are easy to make. You can buy the ingredients at the supermarket or public market; the rest you’ll probably already have in your own kitchen. You can even try different filling like tuna, hotdog or chicken, to add a new variations in your Puto Pao.
Puto Pao Recipe – Asado Style
Note: This recipe can make up to 50 pcs of puto pao.
For the filling
- 1/2 kilo ground pork
- 25 pcs. boiled quail egg
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 pc. star anise
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- cooking oil
For the batter
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. powdered milk
- 4 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
For the toppings
- 1/4 cheddar cheese,
- 2 salted eggs
For the filling
- In a sauce pan, place and stir fry garlic until fragrant, add in ground pork and stir cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in red wine and stir cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in pineapple juice, sugar, staranise and 1 cup water, bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is reduce to half.
- Add in cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water and boiled egg, stir cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste. Remove from pan and set aside.
For the batter and steaming
- In a big bowl, shift all purpose flour, milk powder, baking powder and sugar. Slowly whisk and blend in water. Now whisk in butter until fully blended.
- Fill 1/4 full the cupcake moulds with batter. Put in the middle of the mould half quail egg and 1 tsp of the filling then fill in more batter to nearly full. Top with strips of cheese and salted egg.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the cupcake moulds. Arrange filled moulds in a steamer, place cheesecloth in between each tray to avoid water drips. Put enough water and 1 tbsp of vinegar on the steamer and steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from tray and mould. Served warm.
Source: philippinesfoodrecipes.blogspot.com; Photo: spankyenriquez.blogspot.com